Hamilton man in his 50s becomes first COVID-19 positive test

News Mar 12, 2020 by Kevin Werner Stoney Creek News

A Hamilton man in his 50s is the city’s first confirmed case of COVID-19.

Hamilton Public Health confirmed March 12 the 52-year-old returned from New York on March 5 and showed symptoms of the virus. He was tested at the Urgent Care Centre at Hamilton Health Sciences’ West End clinic.

Public Health officials said the case is travel related and isn’t associated with the first confirmed COVID-19 case of a Juravinski Cancer Care doctor. Hamilton’s Medical Officer of Health Dr. Elizabeth Richardson said the Hamilton individual is self-isolating.

“The individual in question took appropriate steps by self-monitoring, isolating himself, seeking assessment and ultimately being tested,” said Richardson. “All respiratory precautions were followed and no one else was put at risk.”

The man is Hamilton’s first confirmed case and the second in the area after a 32-year-old Burlington doctor who travelled from Hawaii was tested to have the virus. She was tested on March 9 and found to have the virus a day later. She did see 14 patients at the Juravinski Cancer Care facility on the mountain March 9 and was in contact with a total of 34 staff, and other people, said public health officials.

Hamilton has tested 78 individuals for COVID-19, with 36 negative and 41 currently under investigation as of March 12. There is one positive case involving the Hamilton man returning from a trip from New York.

Meanwhile, Halton Region Public Health confirmed a second case of COVID-19. The female Oakville resident in her 40s who had travelled to Colorado earlier this month became symptomatic on March 7 and on March 10 went to Joseph Brant Hospital in Burlington for testing.

On March 11 she tested positive. She also has been to Costa Rica and she experienced mild symptoms on flights from Toronto to Liberia, and Costa Rica to Toronto on March 9. Halton public health officials are asking passengers on the flights to self-monitor for symptoms during the 14 days incubation period.

Hamilton activated its emergency operations centre March 11 after the diagnosis of the Burlington doctor’s COVID-19 test. And emergency personnel are holding daily briefings about the virus.

“We have been preparing for some time,” said Emergency Medical Services Chief Michael Sanderson.

Ontario currently has 59 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 536 people under investigation. So far 4,185 people have been tested, with 3,590 people testing negative. Five cases have been resolved.

In addition, the province is implementing “enhanced” measures to address the virus including expanding screening, testing and protecting front-line workers.

Ontario is establishing a number of dedicated assessment centres in Peel Region, Ottawa Hospital, North York General Hospital, Scarborough Health Network and Trillium Health Partners.

Provincial officials stated that additional assessment centres will be established across the province in the coming weeks. Richardson said the city has been in contact with provincial officials about ongoing measures to address the virus.

The province will also launch a new COVID-19 self-assessment tool in its website – Ontario.ca/coronavirus. The new tool will assist individuals through a series of questions about the virus and how they can seek assistance.

The province is also extending one-time mitigation funding for an additional year for the province’s public health units. The action will ensure the municipal adjustments remain capped at 10 per cent for public health units. Hamilton public health officials were concerned the city would have to pay in cost sharing of about 20 per cent starting this year.

Hamilton man in his 50s tests positive for coronavirus

News Mar 12, 2020 by Kevin Werner Stoney Creek News

A Hamilton man in his 50s is the city’s first confirmed case of COVID-19.

Hamilton Public Health confirmed March 12 the 52-year-old returned from New York on March 5 and showed symptoms of the virus. He was tested at the Urgent Care Centre at Hamilton Health Sciences’ West End clinic.

Public Health officials said the case is travel related and isn’t associated with the first confirmed COVID-19 case of a Juravinski Cancer Care doctor. Hamilton’s Medical Officer of Health Dr. Elizabeth Richardson said the Hamilton individual is self-isolating.

“The individual in question took appropriate steps by self-monitoring, isolating himself, seeking assessment and ultimately being tested,” said Richardson. “All respiratory precautions were followed and no one else was put at risk.”

The man is Hamilton’s first confirmed case and the second in the area after a 32-year-old Burlington doctor who travelled from Hawaii was tested to have the virus. She was tested on March 9 and found to have the virus a day later. She did see 14 patients at the Juravinski Cancer Care facility on the mountain March 9 and was in contact with a total of 34 staff, and other people, said public health officials.

Hamilton has tested 78 individuals for COVID-19, with 36 negative and 41 currently under investigation as of March 12. There is one positive case involving the Hamilton man returning from a trip from New York.

Meanwhile, Halton Region Public Health confirmed a second case of COVID-19. The female Oakville resident in her 40s who had travelled to Colorado earlier this month became symptomatic on March 7 and on March 10 went to Joseph Brant Hospital in Burlington for testing.

On March 11 she tested positive. She also has been to Costa Rica and she experienced mild symptoms on flights from Toronto to Liberia, and Costa Rica to Toronto on March 9. Halton public health officials are asking passengers on the flights to self-monitor for symptoms during the 14 days incubation period.

Hamilton activated its emergency operations centre March 11 after the diagnosis of the Burlington doctor’s COVID-19 test. And emergency personnel are holding daily briefings about the virus.

“We have been preparing for some time,” said Emergency Medical Services Chief Michael Sanderson.

Ontario currently has 59 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 536 people under investigation. So far 4,185 people have been tested, with 3,590 people testing negative. Five cases have been resolved.

In addition, the province is implementing “enhanced” measures to address the virus including expanding screening, testing and protecting front-line workers.

Ontario is establishing a number of dedicated assessment centres in Peel Region, Ottawa Hospital, North York General Hospital, Scarborough Health Network and Trillium Health Partners.

Provincial officials stated that additional assessment centres will be established across the province in the coming weeks. Richardson said the city has been in contact with provincial officials about ongoing measures to address the virus.

The province will also launch a new COVID-19 self-assessment tool in its website – Ontario.ca/coronavirus. The new tool will assist individuals through a series of questions about the virus and how they can seek assistance.

The province is also extending one-time mitigation funding for an additional year for the province’s public health units. The action will ensure the municipal adjustments remain capped at 10 per cent for public health units. Hamilton public health officials were concerned the city would have to pay in cost sharing of about 20 per cent starting this year.

Hamilton man in his 50s tests positive for coronavirus

News Mar 12, 2020 by Kevin Werner Stoney Creek News

A Hamilton man in his 50s is the city’s first confirmed case of COVID-19.

Hamilton Public Health confirmed March 12 the 52-year-old returned from New York on March 5 and showed symptoms of the virus. He was tested at the Urgent Care Centre at Hamilton Health Sciences’ West End clinic.

Public Health officials said the case is travel related and isn’t associated with the first confirmed COVID-19 case of a Juravinski Cancer Care doctor. Hamilton’s Medical Officer of Health Dr. Elizabeth Richardson said the Hamilton individual is self-isolating.

“The individual in question took appropriate steps by self-monitoring, isolating himself, seeking assessment and ultimately being tested,” said Richardson. “All respiratory precautions were followed and no one else was put at risk.”

The man is Hamilton’s first confirmed case and the second in the area after a 32-year-old Burlington doctor who travelled from Hawaii was tested to have the virus. She was tested on March 9 and found to have the virus a day later. She did see 14 patients at the Juravinski Cancer Care facility on the mountain March 9 and was in contact with a total of 34 staff, and other people, said public health officials.

Hamilton has tested 78 individuals for COVID-19, with 36 negative and 41 currently under investigation as of March 12. There is one positive case involving the Hamilton man returning from a trip from New York.

Meanwhile, Halton Region Public Health confirmed a second case of COVID-19. The female Oakville resident in her 40s who had travelled to Colorado earlier this month became symptomatic on March 7 and on March 10 went to Joseph Brant Hospital in Burlington for testing.

On March 11 she tested positive. She also has been to Costa Rica and she experienced mild symptoms on flights from Toronto to Liberia, and Costa Rica to Toronto on March 9. Halton public health officials are asking passengers on the flights to self-monitor for symptoms during the 14 days incubation period.

Hamilton activated its emergency operations centre March 11 after the diagnosis of the Burlington doctor’s COVID-19 test. And emergency personnel are holding daily briefings about the virus.

“We have been preparing for some time,” said Emergency Medical Services Chief Michael Sanderson.

Ontario currently has 59 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 536 people under investigation. So far 4,185 people have been tested, with 3,590 people testing negative. Five cases have been resolved.

In addition, the province is implementing “enhanced” measures to address the virus including expanding screening, testing and protecting front-line workers.

Ontario is establishing a number of dedicated assessment centres in Peel Region, Ottawa Hospital, North York General Hospital, Scarborough Health Network and Trillium Health Partners.

Provincial officials stated that additional assessment centres will be established across the province in the coming weeks. Richardson said the city has been in contact with provincial officials about ongoing measures to address the virus.

The province will also launch a new COVID-19 self-assessment tool in its website – Ontario.ca/coronavirus. The new tool will assist individuals through a series of questions about the virus and how they can seek assistance.

The province is also extending one-time mitigation funding for an additional year for the province’s public health units. The action will ensure the municipal adjustments remain capped at 10 per cent for public health units. Hamilton public health officials were concerned the city would have to pay in cost sharing of about 20 per cent starting this year.