Ontario provides Hamilton with $1.4 million in ice storm clean up costs

News Feb 14, 2015 Hamilton Mountain News

 By Kevin Werner, News Staff

Hamilton has received a boost to its 2015 budget.

The provincial government announced Feb. 14 it will provide the city with a $1.4 million “interim payment” for ice storm-related costs after the severe winter storm in December 2013 that sliced through the western portion of the city, leaving homeowners without power, and roadways littered with trees.

“This is wonderful interim news,” said Mountain councillor Tom Jackson. “(It’s) a needed and deserved financial lift for our city and budgets too.”

Hamilton is one of 55 Ontario communities that will receive a payment from the Ontario Ice Storm Assistance Program. The province will be reimbursed by the federal government under the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements fund. The Ministry of Municipal Affairs will “base the final (ice storm) payments” on the final review of the municipality’s disaster claim.

The province had announced a year ago it would pay 100 per cent of eligible disaster response and recovery costs. But the application process proved too complex for municipalities, including Hamilton that the deadline had to be extended until Dec. 31, 2014. In addition, said Mike Zegarac, corporate services general manager, the city had to get 15 of its employees trained to complete the paperwork. Zegarac said the city submitted about 13,000 support documents.

Hamilton did apply for $4.1 million in disaster-related costs, less than half the $11 million city officials had previously thought they could recoup from the province.

The city spent about $7 million on ice storm-related tree damage with work crews out on the street clean up throughout the city well into April 2014.

The surprise ice storm raked Hamilton, particularly along upper Stoney Creek, parts of the west Mountain, Ancaster, Dundas and Flamborough. About 30,000 people were without power over the next few days.

Ontario provides Hamilton with $1.4 million in ice storm clean up costs

News Feb 14, 2015 Hamilton Mountain News

 By Kevin Werner, News Staff

Hamilton has received a boost to its 2015 budget.

The provincial government announced Feb. 14 it will provide the city with a $1.4 million “interim payment” for ice storm-related costs after the severe winter storm in December 2013 that sliced through the western portion of the city, leaving homeowners without power, and roadways littered with trees.

“This is wonderful interim news,” said Mountain councillor Tom Jackson. “(It’s) a needed and deserved financial lift for our city and budgets too.”

Hamilton is one of 55 Ontario communities that will receive a payment from the Ontario Ice Storm Assistance Program. The province will be reimbursed by the federal government under the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements fund. The Ministry of Municipal Affairs will “base the final (ice storm) payments” on the final review of the municipality’s disaster claim.

The province had announced a year ago it would pay 100 per cent of eligible disaster response and recovery costs. But the application process proved too complex for municipalities, including Hamilton that the deadline had to be extended until Dec. 31, 2014. In addition, said Mike Zegarac, corporate services general manager, the city had to get 15 of its employees trained to complete the paperwork. Zegarac said the city submitted about 13,000 support documents.

Hamilton did apply for $4.1 million in disaster-related costs, less than half the $11 million city officials had previously thought they could recoup from the province.

The city spent about $7 million on ice storm-related tree damage with work crews out on the street clean up throughout the city well into April 2014.

The surprise ice storm raked Hamilton, particularly along upper Stoney Creek, parts of the west Mountain, Ancaster, Dundas and Flamborough. About 30,000 people were without power over the next few days.

Ontario provides Hamilton with $1.4 million in ice storm clean up costs

News Feb 14, 2015 Hamilton Mountain News

 By Kevin Werner, News Staff

Hamilton has received a boost to its 2015 budget.

The provincial government announced Feb. 14 it will provide the city with a $1.4 million “interim payment” for ice storm-related costs after the severe winter storm in December 2013 that sliced through the western portion of the city, leaving homeowners without power, and roadways littered with trees.

“This is wonderful interim news,” said Mountain councillor Tom Jackson. “(It’s) a needed and deserved financial lift for our city and budgets too.”

Hamilton is one of 55 Ontario communities that will receive a payment from the Ontario Ice Storm Assistance Program. The province will be reimbursed by the federal government under the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements fund. The Ministry of Municipal Affairs will “base the final (ice storm) payments” on the final review of the municipality’s disaster claim.

The province had announced a year ago it would pay 100 per cent of eligible disaster response and recovery costs. But the application process proved too complex for municipalities, including Hamilton that the deadline had to be extended until Dec. 31, 2014. In addition, said Mike Zegarac, corporate services general manager, the city had to get 15 of its employees trained to complete the paperwork. Zegarac said the city submitted about 13,000 support documents.

Hamilton did apply for $4.1 million in disaster-related costs, less than half the $11 million city officials had previously thought they could recoup from the province.

The city spent about $7 million on ice storm-related tree damage with work crews out on the street clean up throughout the city well into April 2014.

The surprise ice storm raked Hamilton, particularly along upper Stoney Creek, parts of the west Mountain, Ancaster, Dundas and Flamborough. About 30,000 people were without power over the next few days.