Ancaster Fair another victim of COVID-19

News Jun 12, 2020 by Kevin Werner Ancaster News

The Ancaster Fair’s 170th edition scheduled to take place in September has been cancelled because of the coronavirus.

The Ancaster Agricultural Society’s board of directors made the decision June 8 after consulting with its membership and reviewing the provincial orders.

“Safety is paramount for our membership, volunteers, staff, exhibitors, sponsors, vendors and fairgoers,” said Matt Smith, president of the society.

This is only the second time the fair has been cancelled over its 170 years. The fair did not take place in 1931 because of the polio pandemic that had been sweeping the world.

Tammy Quinn, manager of the Ancaster Fair, said since Hamilton continues to remain in Stage 1 of the provincial reopening plan, organizers concluded it would be difficult to hold its signature event in September that attracts large crowds even if the city entered Stage 2 and Stage 3 reopening phases later in the year. The province recently eased the restrictions for gatherings from five to 10 people.

Hamilton, along with the Niagara Region, and the Greater Toronto Area, remain in Stage 1, while most of the rest of the province entered Stage 2 starting June 12. The event had been scheduled for Sept. 24 to 27.

Quinn said organizers will discuss how the fair can be “reimagined” this year.

Planning for the 171st edition of the fair for Sept. 23-26, 2021, which takes place at the Ancaster Fairgrounds on Trinity Road, has already started.

The decision by the society comes after Mayor Fred Eisenberger encouraged organizers of late summer and fall events to consider cancelling them. He said because of the pandemic and the provincial orders, it is unlikely those events will occur.

“Some of the organizers of events heading into summer and fall right now should think about how much time and effort they are going to organize and prepare for events that may not happen,” said Eisenberger June 2.

Other popular local events that have already been cancelled include the Winona Peach Festival and the Waterdown Ribfest, while Supercrawl has “reimagined” its event by transitioning most of its musical acts to an online forum.

Society officials said the fair over the years has attracted crowds of more than 45,000 people. There are about 400 members of the society, along with 300 volunteers.

Jillian Ferguson, first vice-president of the society, said organizers will still create an “interactive schedule of educational videos and competitions” on its website.

“We encourage our loyal and valued supporters to follow us on our social media platforms for updates,” she said. “We are certain you’ll find something for the whole family.”

In related news, organizers of the Rockton World's Fair have also announced this year's event has been cancelled for the first time in 168 years.

Ancaster Fair's 170th edition cancelled because of COVID-19

News Jun 12, 2020 by Kevin Werner Ancaster News

The Ancaster Fair’s 170th edition scheduled to take place in September has been cancelled because of the coronavirus.

The Ancaster Agricultural Society’s board of directors made the decision June 8 after consulting with its membership and reviewing the provincial orders.

“Safety is paramount for our membership, volunteers, staff, exhibitors, sponsors, vendors and fairgoers,” said Matt Smith, president of the society.

This is only the second time the fair has been cancelled over its 170 years. The fair did not take place in 1931 because of the polio pandemic that had been sweeping the world.

Related Content

Tammy Quinn, manager of the Ancaster Fair, said since Hamilton continues to remain in Stage 1 of the provincial reopening plan, organizers concluded it would be difficult to hold its signature event in September that attracts large crowds even if the city entered Stage 2 and Stage 3 reopening phases later in the year. The province recently eased the restrictions for gatherings from five to 10 people.

Hamilton, along with the Niagara Region, and the Greater Toronto Area, remain in Stage 1, while most of the rest of the province entered Stage 2 starting June 12. The event had been scheduled for Sept. 24 to 27.

Quinn said organizers will discuss how the fair can be “reimagined” this year.

Planning for the 171st edition of the fair for Sept. 23-26, 2021, which takes place at the Ancaster Fairgrounds on Trinity Road, has already started.

The decision by the society comes after Mayor Fred Eisenberger encouraged organizers of late summer and fall events to consider cancelling them. He said because of the pandemic and the provincial orders, it is unlikely those events will occur.

“Some of the organizers of events heading into summer and fall right now should think about how much time and effort they are going to organize and prepare for events that may not happen,” said Eisenberger June 2.

Other popular local events that have already been cancelled include the Winona Peach Festival and the Waterdown Ribfest, while Supercrawl has “reimagined” its event by transitioning most of its musical acts to an online forum.

Society officials said the fair over the years has attracted crowds of more than 45,000 people. There are about 400 members of the society, along with 300 volunteers.

Jillian Ferguson, first vice-president of the society, said organizers will still create an “interactive schedule of educational videos and competitions” on its website.

“We encourage our loyal and valued supporters to follow us on our social media platforms for updates,” she said. “We are certain you’ll find something for the whole family.”

In related news, organizers of the Rockton World's Fair have also announced this year's event has been cancelled for the first time in 168 years.

Ancaster Fair's 170th edition cancelled because of COVID-19

News Jun 12, 2020 by Kevin Werner Ancaster News

The Ancaster Fair’s 170th edition scheduled to take place in September has been cancelled because of the coronavirus.

The Ancaster Agricultural Society’s board of directors made the decision June 8 after consulting with its membership and reviewing the provincial orders.

“Safety is paramount for our membership, volunteers, staff, exhibitors, sponsors, vendors and fairgoers,” said Matt Smith, president of the society.

This is only the second time the fair has been cancelled over its 170 years. The fair did not take place in 1931 because of the polio pandemic that had been sweeping the world.

Related Content

Tammy Quinn, manager of the Ancaster Fair, said since Hamilton continues to remain in Stage 1 of the provincial reopening plan, organizers concluded it would be difficult to hold its signature event in September that attracts large crowds even if the city entered Stage 2 and Stage 3 reopening phases later in the year. The province recently eased the restrictions for gatherings from five to 10 people.

Hamilton, along with the Niagara Region, and the Greater Toronto Area, remain in Stage 1, while most of the rest of the province entered Stage 2 starting June 12. The event had been scheduled for Sept. 24 to 27.

Quinn said organizers will discuss how the fair can be “reimagined” this year.

Planning for the 171st edition of the fair for Sept. 23-26, 2021, which takes place at the Ancaster Fairgrounds on Trinity Road, has already started.

The decision by the society comes after Mayor Fred Eisenberger encouraged organizers of late summer and fall events to consider cancelling them. He said because of the pandemic and the provincial orders, it is unlikely those events will occur.

“Some of the organizers of events heading into summer and fall right now should think about how much time and effort they are going to organize and prepare for events that may not happen,” said Eisenberger June 2.

Other popular local events that have already been cancelled include the Winona Peach Festival and the Waterdown Ribfest, while Supercrawl has “reimagined” its event by transitioning most of its musical acts to an online forum.

Society officials said the fair over the years has attracted crowds of more than 45,000 people. There are about 400 members of the society, along with 300 volunteers.

Jillian Ferguson, first vice-president of the society, said organizers will still create an “interactive schedule of educational videos and competitions” on its website.

“We encourage our loyal and valued supporters to follow us on our social media platforms for updates,” she said. “We are certain you’ll find something for the whole family.”

In related news, organizers of the Rockton World's Fair have also announced this year's event has been cancelled for the first time in 168 years.