‘Mission on the Mountain’ marks 50 years

Living May 10, 2015 by Gord Bowes Hamilton Mountain News

Pilgrim Lutheran Church’s 50 anniversary celebration kicks into high gear the weekend of May 23-24.

The church began as “The Mission on the Mountain” in 1964. Services were held at Franklin Road elementary school, except for the summer months, when the congregation worshipped in the chapel at Macassa Lodge.

Pilgrim Lutheran Church was chartered in May 1965. The church building was dedicated in September 1967 at 1054 Upper Sherman Ave.

A meet-and-greet evening is being held May 23 at 7 p.m., with Pat Koehler, wife of first pastor Rev. Edward Koehler, coming from Minnesota with her family. On May 24, there will be two services — 11 a.m. and a second special anniversary service at 3:30 p.m. — featuring guest preachers.

During the past 50 years, Pilgrim has had three Pastors: Koehler 1964 to 1990, Rev. James Schnarr from 1990 to 2011 and current pastor Rev. Mark Koehler, nephew of our first pastor, since 2012. As well, since May 2009 Rev. Peter Gatluak has been a Missionary-at-Large to the Sudanese Lutheran Mission based at Pilgrim.  

Over the years, eight men from the congregation have gone into the ministry of the Lutheran Church and five others were trained as Lutheran church workers.

‘Mission on the Mountain’ marks 50 years

Hamilton's Pilgrim Lutheran Church celebrates anniversary

Living May 10, 2015 by Gord Bowes Hamilton Mountain News

Pilgrim Lutheran Church’s 50 anniversary celebration kicks into high gear the weekend of May 23-24.

The church began as “The Mission on the Mountain” in 1964. Services were held at Franklin Road elementary school, except for the summer months, when the congregation worshipped in the chapel at Macassa Lodge.

Pilgrim Lutheran Church was chartered in May 1965. The church building was dedicated in September 1967 at 1054 Upper Sherman Ave.

A meet-and-greet evening is being held May 23 at 7 p.m., with Pat Koehler, wife of first pastor Rev. Edward Koehler, coming from Minnesota with her family. On May 24, there will be two services — 11 a.m. and a second special anniversary service at 3:30 p.m. — featuring guest preachers.

During the past 50 years, Pilgrim has had three Pastors: Koehler 1964 to 1990, Rev. James Schnarr from 1990 to 2011 and current pastor Rev. Mark Koehler, nephew of our first pastor, since 2012. As well, since May 2009 Rev. Peter Gatluak has been a Missionary-at-Large to the Sudanese Lutheran Mission based at Pilgrim.  

Over the years, eight men from the congregation have gone into the ministry of the Lutheran Church and five others were trained as Lutheran church workers.

‘Mission on the Mountain’ marks 50 years

Hamilton's Pilgrim Lutheran Church celebrates anniversary

Living May 10, 2015 by Gord Bowes Hamilton Mountain News

Pilgrim Lutheran Church’s 50 anniversary celebration kicks into high gear the weekend of May 23-24.

The church began as “The Mission on the Mountain” in 1964. Services were held at Franklin Road elementary school, except for the summer months, when the congregation worshipped in the chapel at Macassa Lodge.

Pilgrim Lutheran Church was chartered in May 1965. The church building was dedicated in September 1967 at 1054 Upper Sherman Ave.

A meet-and-greet evening is being held May 23 at 7 p.m., with Pat Koehler, wife of first pastor Rev. Edward Koehler, coming from Minnesota with her family. On May 24, there will be two services — 11 a.m. and a second special anniversary service at 3:30 p.m. — featuring guest preachers.

During the past 50 years, Pilgrim has had three Pastors: Koehler 1964 to 1990, Rev. James Schnarr from 1990 to 2011 and current pastor Rev. Mark Koehler, nephew of our first pastor, since 2012. As well, since May 2009 Rev. Peter Gatluak has been a Missionary-at-Large to the Sudanese Lutheran Mission based at Pilgrim.  

Over the years, eight men from the congregation have gone into the ministry of the Lutheran Church and five others were trained as Lutheran church workers.