By Kevin Werner, News Staff
A gas main on Wilson Street has been capped and is under repair after a backhoe broke through the pipe forcing the evacuation of four homes in Ancaster early Aug. 26.
Claudio Mostacci, fire safety officer and spokesperson for the Hamilton Fire Department said 20 firefighters responded to the gas leak at about 7:20 a.m. during morning rush hour traffic at 285 Wilson Street, near Church and Halson streets.. He said five people were evacuated until Union Gas could cap the leak.
A backhoe was doing curb and sidewalk work on the east side of the roadway as part of the on-going reconstruction ofWilson Streetwhen it struck the pipe, he said.
Traffic was delayed on Wilson, and businesses were asked not to open up as a precaution. Firefighters left the scene at about 9:11 a.m., said Mostacci.
Union Gas spokesperson Andrea Stass said the damaged section of the pipe will be cut out and replaced. She said it will take by noon to complete the repairs.
She said the company shut off the gas to three customers to allow the work to proceed.
Mostacci said no injuries were reported.