Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
Fruitland-Winona plan up for another round of debate

By Kevin Werner, News Staff

Stoney Creek politicians are expecting a large crowd for another round of debate on the Winona-Fruitland Secondary Plan proposal.

The city has scheduled a public meeting Feb. 6 at the Winona Vine Estates on Glover Road to allow residents another chance to give their opinion on the controversial document. There will be no formal presentation during what is being described as an open house. Instead, city staff will provide information on the document since a number of items have been changed.

“We want your input,” said Winona councillor Brenda Johnson. “We want comments.”

Also expected to be at the meeting from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. will be councillors Maria Pearson and Brad Clark. City staff will be on hand to answer questions.

“Some of my ward is affected,” said Pearson.

The February meeting was scheduled after members of the planning committee agreed to delay making a decision on the document after eight hours of discussion.

Johnson said at the November meeting she was “looking at what else we can get for the community,” including improving the density, mitigating residents’ fears of the city expropriating their properties, an air drainage plan, and solving the truck traffic issues.

During the November planning committee meeting, Winona residents remained firmly opposed to the secondary plan. And even though a few changes had been made by city staff, residents rejected the revised plan. The original document had been approved by council last June, but because of a bureaucratic foul up involving the Ontario Municipal Board approving the city’s Official Plan last August, the secondary plan wasn’t included in the original OMB decision. At the time 16 individuals had already appealed the plan to the OMB.

Opponents of the secondary plan insist the city should adopt the secondary plan that the community liaison committee supported back in 2009.

But city staff argued the CAC-backed document had a higher density rate than the current secondary plan.

Most residents reject the city plan, saying it will encourage more flooding and will be detrimental to the entire community.

The city’s changes to the original document include reducing the height requirement along Barton Street from six storeys to four; conducting an air drainage study to protect the tender fruit farms; and studying the truck routes on local roads, particularly Barton Street.

After the February open house, planning staff are scheduled to present a revised report to the planning committee in April.

Comments are closed.

HomeFinder.caWheels.caOurFaves.caLocalWork.caGottaRent.ca