Blues hungry for semi-final win
Bookmark and Share
Feb 18, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Blues hungry for semi-final win

Stoney Creek News

By Craig Campbell, Dundas Star News

Back-to-back overtime losses to open their Niagara District Junior C hockey semi-final series against Glanbrook shouldn’t get the Dundas Blues down.

“I think this will make us hungrier,” Blues general manager Steve Aglor said Monday morning, one day after Dundas dropped a 3-2 overtime decision in Glanbrook.

It was their second straight overtime loss, the first coming Saturday at home by a 4-3 score.

“We are off today and will have a light skate tomorrow, and be ready for Wednesday,” Aglor said.

Game three is scheduled for Wednesday night in Glanbrook. The series returns to Dundas for game four Thursday, Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

Glanbrook, the regular season East Division champions and Dundas, who took fifth place in the tight division, have squared off in two very tight games to open their semi-final series.

And tight games rarely go without a bit of controversy.  Aglor questioned the official's call on Sunday night’s final goal.

“The winning goal was knocked in by a high stick – everyone in the arena knew that,” Aglor said.

Glanbrook scored first Sunday night, but Brett Dell assisted by Nick McMullen and Derek Searle tied it at 1-1 heading into the second period.

The tie lasted through the second period with no scoring. Glanbrook took back a one goal lead 7:10 into the final frame.

Derek Searle tied it back up with a Dundas goal five minutes later, assisted by Garret Incze and Dell.

That was all the scoring until four and a half minutes into the overtime period.

The teams were nearly even in penalties – Dundas serving 24 minutes on eight infractions and Glanbrook serving 22 minutes on eight infractions. Glanbrook made the most out of it, though, scoring one power play goal in six attempts, while Dundas had no goals in five power play opportunities.

Saturday evening, a few defensive miscues and a little penalty trouble helped Glanbrook build a 3-1 lead over Dundas after two periods

But third period goals by Kevin Jaczenko and Brett Dell –his second of the game – tied it up in regulation.

Dundas had 11 shots in less than 14 minutes of overtime – but Glanbrook made one of only four count, taking the opening win.

The series resumes Wednesday in Glanbrook, with the home team up two games to none.

“The series is far from over. We could have won both games,” Aglor said.



Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today