Blues drop semi-final opener in OT
Bookmark and Share
Feb 17, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Blues drop semi-final opener in OT

Ancaster News

By Craig Campbell, Dundas Star News

It took three regulation periods and 14-minutes of overtime to settle game one of the Niagara District Junior C East Division semi-final  Saturday, in Dundas.

But even after two weeks off for a first round bye, Glanbrook Rangers outlasted the Dundas Blues on this night.

Game two is scheduled Sunday night in Glanbrook, followed by game three also in Glanbrook on Wednesday. The series is set to return to Dundas Thursday, Feb. 21.

Saturday night, the east division's regular season champs opened the scoring five minutes into the game.

Les than two minutes later, however, Dundas’ Brett Dell scored – assisted by Josh Wiley and Matt Charbonneau – to even things at 1-1.

Glanbrook got one back before the middle of the opening frame, to regain a one goal lead.

A couple of Dundas defensive miscues in Glanbrook’s end allowed the puck out and cost the Blues.

In the second period, Dundas outshot Glanbrook, but a bit of penalty trouble delayed their march back into the game.

Glanbrook took a 3-1 lead with a power play goal about eight minutes into the middle frame.

Despite some strong play in Glanbrook’s end, Dundas didn’t score and the third period began with a two goal deficit for the home team to make up.

Dundas again outshot the Rangers in the third. A few more penalties didn’t help, but the Blues began the climb back with a power play goal from Kevin Jaczenko – who seemed relieved to see the puck in the net – assisted by Mitch Reid and goalie Mark Sinclair.

The next 12 minutes were scoreless until Brett Dell found the net with a pretty, shorthanded goal, to tie the game at 3-3.

Glanbrook outshot Dundas in the opening period, but took over the momentum the rest of the way outshooting Glanbrook 24-14 the rest of the way in regulation.

They continued that pressure in the overtime period, outshooting Glanbrook 11-4 over 14 minutes – but the visistors’ fourth shot put the game away.

Dundas had a total of 25 penalty minutes on 13 infractions, while Glanbrook had 12 penalty minutes on six infractions. Both teams had one power play goal, but Glanbrook had 10 power plays compared to Dundas’ five.

Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today