Missing teeth can be a source of embarrassment as well as lead to further dental issues such as drifting and a misaligned bite. Bridges offer the perfect option to replace missing teeth for a natural smile and to help avoid further dental issues.
About dental bridges
Bridges provide a perfectly natural replacement for missing teeth. They look natural and feel natural for a comfortable bite. Dental bridges usually consist of two abutment crowns that are inserted over existing teeth and a false tooth or teeth in between the abutments called pontics. Bridges can be crafted using different materials and porcelain provides the natural look most desirable for any teeth that are exposed when you smile or yawn. Gold and alloys are also used usually for molars at the back of the mouth.
Dental bridge procedure
There are a number of steps involved with dental bridges including:
• Your dentist will want a consultation to discuss your options. They will also check that the abutment teeth are able to accommodate the bridge.
• Your abutment teeth must be re-contoured as they will be too large to accommodate the abutments. Some of the enamel will be removed and your teeth will be shaped to fit the abutments.
• Impressions will be taken with a soft material you will bite into and moulds will be made for the dental lab.
• Your dentist will make and insert a temporary bridge until your new bridge is crafted at the lab.
• When your bridge is complete your dentist will adjust the bridge to match the colour of your existing teeth. It is also common for a temporary cement to be used so you can try the bridge out for size and fit. Once you feel comfortable the fit is correct your dentist will cement it in permanently.
If you have missing teeth Dr. Corinne Contant at Lakeside Dental is the Stoney Creek dentist happy to discuss the benefits of bridges with you. You can call 905-664-0808 to set up a dental appointment today. New patients are always welcome.
Find us on Facebook.
View more articles.