A convicted sex offender whose release into a Stoney Creek neighbourhood sparked a public outcry earlier this week has been re-arrested, Hamilton police said.
Keith Contstantin was unable to comply with his curfew conditions and was arrested without incident on the evening of Friday August 1. He is being held for a bail hearing.
Constantin, who has been convicted of sexual assaults against women and children, was released on July 23 after serving a prison term. After initially indicating he planned to live in east Hamilton, Constantin moved to the Fruitland Road area of Stoney Creek, prompting police to issue a rare community safety alert.
In a statement, Winona councillor Brenda Johnson said her constituents are breathing a sigh of relief after Constantin’s arrest.
“The communities of Winona and Fruitland as well as the rest of the City of Hamilton can now breathe a sigh a relief as the Hamilton Police Services have apprehended Keith Constantin who is now in custody,” she stated. “As Councillor of Ward 11, it is an honour to recognize the exemplary service the Hamilton Police Services including Detective Bob Hill and the Intelligence Branch. I also want to take this opportunity to applaud the efforts of those in the community who took the initiative to assist the Hamilton Police Services keeping the community informed and updated. Our next steps will include pressuring all levels of government to ensure the safety of our communities be their number one priority. We want to make sure this situation doesn’t happen again.”