• Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

HAMILTON COMMUNITY NEWS COMMUNITY IS SPONSORED BY:

Photo by Debra Downey

Photo by Debra Downey

Emma Marcolin, 10, shows off some of the medals she has received in hip hop and jazz competitions.

Enterprising young dancer collects coin with bottle drive

By Debra Downey, Senor Editor

A determined young dancer will be stepping out at competitions this spring thanks to some help from her “really nice” neighbours.

Emma Marcolin, 10, has collected $112 after conducting a bottle drive in her neighbourhood. Just before Christmas, Emma and some of her friends circulated flyers in the Watson’s Lane and Renata Court area to inform residents about her desire to dance. Just last week, she finished collecting bottles and was delighted with the cash she received.

Emma and her folks will use the money to offset the cost of attending dance competitions. Emma said her brothers, Michael, 7, and Matthew, 4, mom Becky and grandma Ellen usually tag along to competitions. One time last year, dad Michael even surprised his daughter by showing up to watch her perform.

“It’s really, really, fun,” said Emma of competitions. “I get to meet new friends and I get to go to new places.”

Emma has participated in hip hop, ballet and jazz lessons for the past two years at Waterdown Dancers Inc. Last year, she competed in Mississauga, Hamilton and Niagara Falls as part of competitive hip hop and jazz teams.

Emma said her favourite style of dance is jazz because it’s “upbeat” and she gets to wear “really cool” costumes.

The Grade 5 St. Augustine School student also takes piano and swimming lessons.

As a means of saying thanks to her neighbours, Emma — with some help from her mom — submitted this letter to the Dundas Star News.

“Thank you to all my awesome neighbors on Watson’s Lane and Renata Court for contributing to the bottle drive. I raised $112.00 for my dance competitions this season! Your support means a lot to me.”

Comments are closed.

HomeFinder.caWheels.caOurFaves.caLocalWork.caGottaRent.ca