Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
Submitted photo

Submitted photo

Lexie Spadafora helped the Westdale Warriors win three Hamilton city championships during her high school career.

McMaster women’s basketball reels in impressive recruits

The start of a new year brought some post-holiday presents to Marauder women’s basketball coach Theresa Burns, as two of her top recruiting targets recently offered their pledge to don Maroon for their varsity careers.

Committing to join the McMaster program are high school prospects Jelena Mamic from St. Francis in St. Catharines and Lexie Spadafora from Hamilton Westdale.

“Our team speed and defensive ability elevates immediately with the addition of these two players,” said Burns. “Jelena and Lexie both bring a passion for the game, a desire to learn and improve, and a high level of competitiveness.”

A starter on the Westdale senior team since Grade 9, Spadafora helped the Warriors win three Hamilton city championships during her high school career. The five-foot nine-inch swing player was also one of the leading scorers for the Hamilton Public School all-stars at the 2012 Hamilton Spectator All-Star Classic.

“I wanted to stay local and be close to my friends and family. They have always supported me and will be able to attend my home games,” said Spadafora, who has been on multiple medal-winning teams in the Ontario Basketball Association. “Going to McMaster just feels like a great fit for me. From a basketball, perspective it helps with the high school to university transition to be comfortable and happy with where you are.”

Along with their basketball prowess, coach Burns said Mamic and Spadafora have been exemplary academic performers.

Comments are closed.

HomeFinder.caWheels.caOurFaves.caLocalWork.caGottaRent.ca