It’s going to get even more crowded along Wilson Street.
While members of the Ancaster Community Council weren’t enthusiastic about a new 79-unit, three-storey condominium development at 153 Wilson St., they didn’t put up much of an opposition to the proposed plans.
“It’s tough to stop this one,” said Bruce Gabel, a member of the council. “But you better get ready for the next one and the next one.”
The condominium unit being proposed by Starward Homes on the 0.47-hectare property will be located beside the Stonegate condominium development and Wilson Woods, another residential development. Across the street is the existing Ancaster Mews development.
The Ontario Municipal Board last year allowed the Stonegate development, against the wishes of some residents, and even allowed the building to exceed Ancaster’s 10.5-metre height restrictions.
The new condo unit will meet the former town’s height bylaw, said Brandon Campbell, vice-president of Starwood Homes.
Originally, the proposal had 96 units in the three-storey building, with peaked roofs. The new design cuts the number of units, creates a flat roof, with three-storeys on 60 per cent of the building, while the remaining structure will be two-storeys. The condo is focused on the upscale boomer market, with electric car charging stations, a residential bike share program, media room, gym area and wine locker.
Still, the most dominating aspect of the development is its density. The planning requirement for Ancaster, allows for 60 units per hectare. The development will have 161 units per hectare.
“Density is an issue,” acknowledged Brenda Khes, on behalf of Starward Homes, who presented the concept to the council Oct. 7.
The developer will be asking planning staff, and councillors for a rezoning application to allow the development.
After talking with Ancaster councillor Lloyd Ferguson and discussing the proposal with the neighbours, the developer has proposed a nine-metre set back to the Wilson Woods property and a five-metre setback to Stonegate. The front and back will have a 1.5-metre setback.
There will be 24 visitor parking spaces on the surface and 109 spots underground.
While council members didn’t have an issue with the development, they were worried about the impact the project will have on the area.
Robert Cunliffe said Wilson Street is already jammed with vehicles, especially on Saturday. By adding another development, it will only create further traffic issues.
Gabel echoed that sentiment.
“The design is great,” he said. “But traffic is a concern. It’s total (traffic) blockage on Saturday. It looks like a car parade from Halson Street to the shopping area.”
Added council member Todd Knowles: “They are putting as many units as they can squeeze on it.”